"Art reveals to us the essence of thing, the essence of our existence." - Rudlolf Arnheim
ARTZ: Artists for Alzheimer's is a 501© (3) initiative of the I'm Still Here Foundation, founded in 2002, with the purpose of enhancing the cultural and creative life of people living with Alzheimer's disease. ARTZ draws on the support and collaboration of artists and cultural institutions, both nationally and internationally, as a collective resource, to share, educate and inspire.
As the video below informs us, the emotional memory in the presence of art eases some of the symptoms.
ARTZ Museum Programs -
• Peabody Essex Museum - Salem, MA
• Museum of Science - Boston, MA
• Fuller-Craft Museum - Brockton, MA
• Institute of Contemporary Art - Boston, MA
• deCordova Museum & Sculpture Park - Lincoln, MA
• Museum of Natural History, Harvard University - Cambridge, MA
• Peabody Museum of Archaeology & Ethnology, Harvard University - Cambridge, MA
• Sackler Museum, Harvard University - Cambridge, MA
• Larz Anderson Auto Museum - Brookline, MA
• American Textile Museum - Lowell, MA
• Worcester Art Museum, Worcester, MA
A side note: In 2015 the NAA joined forces with Atria Merrimack Senior Living in Newburyport - NAA artist member Paula Estey led a workshop for seniors (experiencing varying stages of dementia) entitled Life & Legacy … the result was a powerful and emotional and so very positive experience for all, students and organizers. Both Atria & the NAA have agreed such programming needs to continue!